Kaiser Permanente’s Northern California Regional Ethics Dept. has an opportunity for a Regional Ethicist
The Regional Ethicist is a member of the Regional Ethics Department (RED) reporting to the Regional Director. The RED provides leadership and direct support to ethics committees and other KP departments, administrators, providers, and staff. The RED's central responsibilities are as follows: the development and review of ethics and patient rights related policy; analysis and recommendation, as appropriate, of organizational and clinical ethics related issues; support for KP NCAL's local ethics committees (including consultation & education); teaching; and research and/or quality improvement in clinical ethics.
• Serves as a resource and provides support, guidance (including ethics consultation) for ethics committees and medical enter personnel at the local level in regard to ethical problems, issues and concerns including patient rights issues.
• Serves as faculty for Kaiser Permanente's Certificate Program in Healthcare Ethics.
• Contributes to educational efforts in ethics including formal and informal presentations, facilitates discussions, participates and/or plans conferences, training seminars, webinars, etc. at the local, regional, national, and/or international level.
• Participates in projects aimed at quality assessment; Analyzes consultation methods and provides recommendations for improvement strategies where appropriate.
• Develops, reviews, and analyzes ethics and patient rights related policy and assures compliance with accreditation and regulatory standards. Provides policy education. Identifies ethics policy gaps and works toward increasing ethics policy alignment region-wide.
• Facilitates consensus among stakeholders on complex ethical issues and related organizational policies
• Minimum six (6) months experience providing ethics case consultation, either as a member of a hospital ethics committee, as a member of an ethics consultation team, or as an individual ethics consultant.
• Experience engaging in health care dispute resolution and dialogue facilitation.
• Employment as a professional ethics consultant or comparable set of experiences.
• Experience developing formal and informal ethics education curricula and providing ethics education to an interdisciplinary, professional audience, or an equivalent length of time providing dispute resolution training in a health care setting.
• Ability to provide moral analysis, assess options and provide direction/ guidance on critical and complex issues that arise in healthcare.
• Experience in program evaluation would be valuable; Training in quantitative and/or qualitative methods; Training in biostatistics; Interest in research.
• Professional or terminal degree in relevant discipline such as Medicine, Moral Philosophy or Theology, Law, Public Policy, Nursing, Social Work, Chaplaincy, Psychology, etc. Education/training in clinical or bioethics.
This position supports Kaiser Permanente’s code of conduct and compliance by adhering to all laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements, and internal policies and procedures.
To view the full job description and to express your interest, visit jobs.kp.org and search for job number 580366. For additional questions contact Desrinique.L.Jordan@kp.org
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/DISABILITY/VETERAN