Bioethics Instructor or Assistant Professor
JOINT FACULTY POSITION: Division of Medical Ethics and Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYULMC
The Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (https://med.nyu.edu/child-adolescent-psychiatry/) at NYU Langone Medical Center and the Division of Medical Ethics in the Department of Population Health of NYU School of Medicine (https://med.nyu.edu/pophealth/divisions/medical-ethics), seek to recruit an Instructor or Assistant Professor for a non-tenure track position beginning September 1, 2017. The primary appointment will be in the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/NYU Langone Child Study Center with a secondary appointment in Medical Ethics by mutual agreement.
The initial appointment is for three years renewable by mutual decision of the head of the Division of Medical Ethics and the Chair of the Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Lead the development of an integrated pediatric bioethics program with a focus on child and adolescent mental health. The program will address bioethics in clinical care and in clinical and basic neuroscience research.
- Seek federal and non-federal funding for research studies in the area of adolescent and child psychiatry with a probable focus on autism, early childhood mental health, global mental health, and digital health and telepsychiatry.
- Pursue a line of ethical research and inquiry that leads to presentations at national meetings and publications in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals.
- Teach a minimum of one course per year or co-teach one or two courses with another instructor. Courses will focus on pediatrics and/or mental health.
- Teach in existing medical school courses and selectives and child psychiatry courses and selectives.
- Attend weekly clinical case conferences to provide ethics expertise.
- Mentor residents, graduate students/post-doctoral fellows, medical students.
- Work with The Division and Department heads on organizing meetings, conferences and colloquia.
- Help create continuing education programs
- Consult on ethics issues for IRBs, trial sponsors, and investigators.
Core qualifications include:
- Excellent record of quality scholarship and teaching including a demonstration of a strong scholarly career track.
- PhD or MD required.
- Areas of work within bioethics that will receive preference are research ethics, pediatric ethics, mental health ethics, global health ethics, and digital health ethics.
- Applicants will be expected to direct interdisciplinary research and to assist investigators conducting research in child and adolescent psychiatry with emerging ethical and policy issues.
Competitive salary, research start-up funds, travel funds, and a comprehensive range of benefits are available.
Send cover letter and CV referencing “2017 joint faculty search” to: Jessica.email@example.com. Successful applicants will then be asked to provide letters of reference.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal employment/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/or parental status, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, veterans status, or any other classification protected by applicable Federal, State, or Municipal Law.