Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm Competitions
Regional Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm Competitions
The Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm is a tiered competition. During November and December, eleven regional ethics bowls took place at various locations throughout the United States. The top scoring thirty-six teams in the regional ethics bowls qualified to compete in the Twenty-first Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl Championship.
The 17-18 IEB Regional season will commence in the fall. Complete dates for those regional competitions will be posted, as soon as they are available.
Twenty-first Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm Championship
The Twenty-first Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl Nationals occurred in conjunction with the 2017 APPE Annual International Conference on February 26, 2017 at the Westin Park Central Hotel in Dallas, Texas.
For additional information on the cases for the National Competition please see the following page: Cases, Rules and Guidelines
Questions? Contact the APPE Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and 812.855.6450.
Twenty-first Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm Championship
The Twenty-first Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl Champions: United States Military Academy
The Twenty-first Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm Championship was held on Sunday, February 26, 2017 in Dallas, Texas, as a part of the 2017 Association for Practical and Professional Ethics 26th Annual Conference. Colleges and Universities across the United States and throughout the world who qualified in a regional bowl entered teams of undergraduate students in the national competition.
You can find a Historical record of past IEB Final results here: IEB National Champions History
The Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm (IEB) is a team competition that combines the excitement and fun of a competitive tournament with an innovative approach to education in practical and professional ethics for undergraduate students. Recognized widely by educators, the IEB has received special commendation for excellence and innovation from the American Philosophical Association, and received the 2006 American Philosophical Association/Philosophy Documentation Center’s 2006 prize for Excellence and Innovation in Philosophy Programs. The format, rules, and procedures of the IEB all have been developed to model widely acknowledged best methods of reasoning in practical and professional ethics.
In the IEB, each team receives a set of cases which raise issues in practical and professional ethics in advance of the competition and prepare an analysis of each case. At the competition, a moderator poses questions, based on a case taken from that set, to teams of three to five students. Questions may concern ethical problems on wide ranging topics, such as the classroom (e.g. cheating or plagiarism), personal relationships (e.g. dating or friendship), professional ethics (e.g. engineering, law, medicine), or social and political ethics (e.g. free speech, gun control, etc.) A panel of judges may probe the teams for further justifications and evaluates answers. Rating criteria are intelligibility, focus on ethically relevant considerations, avoidance of ethical irrelevance, and deliberative thoughtfulness.
Fees and Registration Announcement
In order to streamline the registration process for the Regional Ethics Bowl Compeitions, the following changes are in effect for the 2016 Regional Competitions:
- Each team will pay one payment for their Regional competition to APPE to cover the specific regions costs and the APPE regional payment.
- Each team will provide to APPE at the time of payment an Regional Individual Team Form.
- A team will not be considered registered for their competition until both items are received.
The registration fees for participation in the Regional Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl are, as follows:
1. APPE Ethics Bowl Regional fee for all Teams $100.
2. Regional Host Registration Fee (varies by region.)
3. All Ethics Bowl Teams must have at least one APPE Individual Member or one Institutional Member (student memberships with APPE do not meet this qualification.)
To pay for your teams Regional Fees, please click on the following link: Regional Team Payment
To renew your Membership with APPE or become a member of APPE, please click on the following link: APPE Membership
Note: Though the general IEB policy has been that schools may send up to two teams to the regional competitions, some Regions are not equipped to handle the additional number of schools. Please, check with your region, before registering two teams for any regional competition.
Any team qualifying for the APPE Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl Nationals will have a competition fee of $100 to be paid to APPE at the time of qualification. That payment will be paid through the following payment site: Ethics Bowl Nationals Payment
Please, contact the APPE office for additional information or clarification at: email@example.com or 812-855-6450.
Teams who do not have an Individual or Institutional member of the Association and have questions, please contact Beth Works, APPE Sr. Executive Assistant, (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 812-855-6450) for assistance.
Fees and Registration:
- All teams participating in Ethics Bowl Regional or National Competition must be members of the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics (APPE). This may be an individual or an institutional membership. Only one membership is required (individual or institutional.) A student membership does not meet this qualification. For more clarification, please contact the APPE office at: email@example.com or 812-855-6450.
- All entry fees for teams competing in a regional competition will be collected by APPE for that region. In addition, each school will be assessed a $100 fee (covering up to two teams from that school) for the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, to help defray the cost of the National Competition. Those combined fees are what is reflected for each region on the payment site. Note: Regions are no longer accepting any fees from teams. APPE will collect individual regions fees and send those to the Regional Director at the time of their Regional Competition.
- The Regional Individual Team Fee Form is required for all teams before they are considered registered for their regional competition.
- A regional team will not be eligible to compete in the regional until all regional fees have been paid and the form has been received.
Note: Any team participating in more than one Regional Ethics Bowl Competition should contact APPE before registering for their second event.
To submit your payment for your Ethics Bowl Team, please complete the following instructions:
If you are paying by credit card, you may use our online payment portal. Please, click the here to access our online payment portal.
If you prefer to pay by check or electronic transfer, please fill in the Regional Team Fee Form and email, fax or mail it to the APPE Offices (see contact information at the bottom of this page.) We accept pdfs, scanned and faxed forms. Please, contact the APPE office for additional information regarding electronic transfer. Please, mail your checks with your form to the APPE office at the address listed at the bottom of this webpage.
Credit card transactions will no longer be handled by phone, fax or mail. Please, use the online payment portal.
Individual Team National Payment Form
Important Ethics Bowl Dates
Wednesday, September 7, 2016 - 2016 Regional Competition Cases posted.
January 4, 2017 - 2017 National Competition Cases posted.
Please, see the Cases, Rules and Guidelines page.
In this section:
- November 28 End of Early Bird Registration
- December Notification of Program Presenters
- January 9 Deadline for Audio Visual Request Forms
- January 9 National IEB Team Registration ends
- January 20 Publisher Ads deadline
- January 23 End of On-Time Registration
- February 1 Hotel Reservations deadline
- February 6 Meal Reservations with Payment deadline