Association for Practical and Professional Ethics
2017 Ethics Bowl Summer Workshop
High School, Two-year and Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl Programs
San Jose State University - San Jose, California
Friday, June 30 through Sunday, July 2, 2017
The 2017 Ethics Bowl Summer Workshop will be held at San Jose State University in San Jose, California.
The workshop will hold sessions pertaining to the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl, the Two-Year College Ethics Bowl, and the National High School Ethics Bowl, in addition to sessions on coaching, judging, student voices, the future of the bowl, and organizing regional competitions, etc.
The workshop will occur on Saturday and Sunday, beginning Saturday morning. On Friday,the annual Newcomers session will be held.
This agenda is subject to change. The room assignments should stay the same.
Pre-Workshop Session: "Newcomers - The ABCs of Ethics Bowl"
There will be a special session for folks new to Ethics Bowl on Friday, June 30, 2017 from 1 to 4 p.m. If you have no previous experience with Ethics Bowl, please plan on attending this session. This pre-workshop session will provide basic information on teams, coaches, judges, moderators, competitions, and what makes Ethics Bowl a unique and rewarding experience for high school and college students. Please indicate on your participation form if you plan on attending.
- Coaching Strategies
- Fundraising and Marketing Strategies
- Student Voices
- Engaging Students
- Spirit of Ethics Bowl
Special Sessions for
Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl
Two-College Ethics Bowl
National High School Ethics Bowl
- Hosting an Ethics Bowl
- Organizing a Regional Ethics Bowl
- Leadership Opportunities at the National and Regional Levels
- Starting an Ethics Bowl Program at your Institution
- Looking forward—the future of the Ethics Bowl
- And, much more …
Lodging Options and Information
- Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown - 282 S Almaden Blvd, San Jose, CA 95113
- Hotel Clariana - 100 E Santa Clara St, San Jose, CA 95113
- The Westin San Jose Hotel - 302 S Market St, San Jose, CA 95113
- San Jose Marriot - 301 S Market St, San Jose, CA 95113
- Pacific Motor Inn - 455 S 2nd St, San Jose, CA 95113
- Hilton San Jose - 300 S Almaden Blvd, San Jose, CA 95110
- Four Points by Sheraton - 211 S 1st St, San Jose, CA 95113
Saturday Evening Dinner Opportunity
There will be an opportunity to attend an informal dinner at a nearby restaurant on Saturday evening, after the workshop sessions conclude. More information about the venue will be coming soon. Group seating will be arranged. This will be a pay-on-your-own event.
Other Restaurant Options and Information
- San Pedro Square Market - 87 N San Pedro St, San Jose, CA 95110
- La Victoria Taqueria - 140 E San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95112
- Peanuts Deluxe Café - 275 E San Fernando St, San Jose, CA 95112
- SA-By Thai Cuisine - 346 E William St, San Jose, CA 95112
- San Carlos Italian Pizza - 484 E San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95112
- Flames Eatery & Bar - 88 S 4th St, San Jose, CA 95112
- Cafe Stritch- 374 S 1st St, San Jose, CA 95113
Announcements with additional information and updates will be sent to the APPE Listserv. To be added to the APPE Listserv, contact the APPE Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, complete the form linked below and email it to the APPE office at email@example.com.
Registrations will not be considered complete until the form is received for the attendee.
Registration is now open. Participation fees are as listed below:
Before May 30, 2017: $100.00 per person and includes lunch on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday.
After May 30, 2017: $125.00 per person and includes lunch on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday.
Complete the participation form linked above and return it to the APPE office: by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer to pay by check, you can send the Participation Form in with your check.
If paying by credit card, please use the online payment portal link, below.
If paying by check, mail your check and completed Participation Form to: APPE, 618 E. Third Street, Bloomington, IN 47405
Below is the Agenda from the 2016 Ethics Bowl Workshop. This is NOT the agenda for this year, but will give individuals an idea of what is covered and how the days flow at the workshop.
Airports that service San Jose
Airport Shuttles and Rental Cars
Shuttle Options Links
Rental Car Options
There are numerous rental cars options from the San Jose Airport. You can find more information at the following link: http://www.flysanjose.com/rental-cars
Directions to SJSU
Here is a link to directions from numerous highways and from the San Jose Airport to the SJSU campus: http://www.sjsu.edu/map/directions/
For your GPS systems:
The main address of the San Jose State University is: One Washington Square, San Jose, California 95192.
For questions and inquiries about the 2017 APPE Ethics Bowl Workshop contact Dr. Richard Greene at email@example.com
Or the APPE offices at firstname.lastname@example.org.