Cases, Rules, and Guidelines
For more information about the Ethics BowlSM competitions contact the Association’s IEB Board Chair, Richard Greene, Phone: 801-626-6694, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Ethics Bowl Dates
September 9, 2015 - 2015 Regional Competition Cases posted
January 4, 2016 - 2016 National Competition Cases will be posted
National Ethics Bowl Cases
Regional Cases and Rules
Fees and Registration Announcement:
Beginning in the 2015-16 Regional and National IEB Competition Season:
Effective with the 2015-2016 Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl year a change to our registration fee structure will be implemented. Please forward this information to the coaches or other interested individuals in your region at your earliest convenience, as it may bear on their fundraising efforts or other processes.
In an interest of generating a bit more revenue, and making the fee structure more equitable (prior to the change teams attending the national competition were carrying a disproportionate share of the burden), the registration fees for participation in Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl will be, as follows:
1. Annual Ethics Bowl Membership (regional fee) for all Teams $100.
2. National Championship Competition Fee $100 (for teams qualifying for nationals).
3. All Ethics Bowl Teams must have at least one APPE Individual Member or one Institutional Member. Please, contact the APPE office for additional information or clarification at: email@example.com or 812-855-6450.
The previous fee structure was:
1. Annual Ethics Bowl Membership for all Teams $50.
2. National Championship Competition Fee $200 (for teams qualifying for nationals).
Note that the annual fee for all teams is in addition to any fees charged by the various regions. Further, while this is an increase for all teams at the regional level, it constitutes an overall decrease for those teams who qualify for nationals. A team that qualifies for nationals would pay $200 for the year, whereas previously they would have paid $250.
Fees & Registration:
All teams participating in Ethics Bowl Regional or National Competition must be members of the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics (APPE). This may be an individual or an institutional membership. Only one membership is required (individual or institutional.) For more clarification, please contact the APPE office at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-855-6450
- An entry fee for teams competing in a regional competition will be collected by the Regional Director to help defray the cost of the regional competition. The fee for the regional competition may vary with the region and teams must contact the Regional Director to learn what the fee will be. Regional Director Team Form (multiple teams)
- In addition to that fee to help defray the costs of the Regional Competition, each school will be assessed a $100 fee (covering up to two teams from that school), payable to the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, to help defray the cost of the National Competition. Some regional directors will include that $100 in the total set of fees collected from the competing regional schools and then forward that $100 to the Association. Others will ask each individual regional school to send that $100 directly to the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics. Schools competing in a regional must confirm with the Regional Director whether the $100 fee is included in the regional fee or whether the school must send the $100 directly to the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics. Only the $100 fee due to APPE will be processed through the online payment portal of this website.
- A form is provided by the Regional Director for schools to send the $100 directly to the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics. APPE Individual Regional Team Fee Form
- A regional school will not be eligible to compete in the regional until the $100 fee has been paid.
To submit your payment for your Ethics Bowl Team, complete the following instructions:
If you are paying by credit card, you may use our online payment portal. Please, click the here to access our online payment portal.
If you prefer to pay by check or electronic transfer, please fill in the appropriate form and email, fax or mail it to the APPE Offices (see contact information at the bottom of this page.) We accept pdfs, scanned and faxed forms. Please, contact the APPE office for additional information regarding electronic transfer. Please, mail your checks with your form to the APPE office at the address listed at the bottom of this webpage.
Credit card transactions will no longer be handled by phone, fax or mail. Please, use the online payment portal.
Past Regional and National Bowl Competition Cases
For those interested in how teams are scored or for a format to start your own Intercollege Ethics BowlSM team, please consult the following cases, rules, and guidelines used in past Intercollegiate Ethics Bowlsm competitions.
Regional Cases in PDF